|Photo by the INCREDIBLE Amanda Adam|
For our spectacular 12-days-of-christmas extravaganza, we decided today was a free-day, and since I've been so interested in love and romance lately (and there are only about 149019301930 romantic-comedies based around the holiday season), I thought I'd write about love around the holidays (or lack there of)!
Moving to a cold city for the first time I was completely unaware of the fact that it is apparently "cuffing season," (or at least that's what the kids are calling it). "Cuffing season" is the cold time of the year when everyone starts looking for a bae to cuddle with (or get tied down to, aka handCUFFED), because if you're like me, your pre-war building's heaters turn on sporadically based on the mood of your landlord.
That being said, being my first christmas season to "cuff" (not sure if I'm using that correctly), I've been thinking a lot about what it means to be single around the holidays.
Pretty much every christmas I've been single (actually every christmas) and since I feel like it's in the same regard as Valentines Day for making single people feel like absolute crap on the holidays, I thought I'd make you a list of 7 reasons why being single around the holidays is actually the best thing ever.
1) You Can Eat Whatever You Want: Now I'm a firm believer that you should be doing that in a relationship regardless, but I know some self-conscious bbs who feel awkward eating around their baes, or they'd be embarrassed if their boo knew that they could put away half of a honey-glazed ham all by themselves (you should never be embarrassed by ham consumption...ever). SO when you're single you get to devour all the cookies, potluck-style holiday-party mac n cheese, roasted animals and whatever else your heart desires because GUESS WHAT, it's the end of the year, you will start fresh at 2015 (only if you want) and EVERYONE looks cute and thin when bundled up like the Michelin Man in their down-coats.
2) You Can Focus on Who Matters - Family: I mean, at the end of the day I think you will be happier focusing on those who have been there through all of your relationships and those people are your family. And by family I don't necessarily mean those who you share genes or jeans with. I mean the network of people who are on YOUR team. And when I say "your team" I don't mean, "as opposed to another persons team," I just mean, the people who are rooting for you (just like Tyra roots for you). This tribe of people who love you and support you no matter what are EVERYTHING, so make sure to spend time with them and express that you care!
3) Less Christmas Presents to Buy: I don't know about y'all, but I always found that buying presents for a significant other is one of the most difficult things to do ever. Since I'm closer to the hetero-side of the Kinsy scale, I'm usually buying presents for people of the male variety - and omg, I don't know what they want! Sports things? Video game things? One Direction's entire discography (oh wait that's for me hehe). I'm sure girl's aren't any easier to shop for
4) Excellent Transitional Time to the New Year and Spring: You don't have to worry about any potential breakups ruining your new year and your new you (and yes, I am one of those people who believe that stuff). You get to enjoy the yummy time and focus 100% on you, your dreams and what YOU want for the New Year, what's better than that!?
5) Clash of Traditions: You don't have to worry about whether their holiday traditions clash with yours. I have a friend who got in a fight with her bf on christmas day (the most magical day of the year) for that very reason, they had too many prior obligations and traditions that the two of them together couldn't do all on the same day!
6) You don't have to meet his family: I mean...do I even need to explain this
Lastly and most importantly...
7) You don't have to worry about embarrassing anyone but yourself when you get waisted at a holiday party. Cause who needs that, am I right?
Drink up, party up, and cuff your damn self!
Keep it sassy,
Sasssquatch aka Caelan